Thursday, December 29, 2005

TrackerNeil defended!

Thanks for Babyraven for her defense of me on Mediagirl.org. Of course, her words bounced right off MediaGirl's intellectual carapace, but I appreciate the effort. I imagine that next Babyraven will be portrayed either as a sellout or a poor woman who's been deluded and hammered down by my male-hegemonic worldview. Check the comments and see!

You know, my experience on MediaGirl.org was my first up-close-and-personal with liberal bigotry. Of course, I saw some of this in college, but it wasn't directed towards me, so I paid it little attention.It's really distressing to see people who are on your side of the issues being so intolerant and narrow-minded. It's also hard to be called a bigot when you're not, because listeners tend to better remember the accusation and not the denial. Besides, when you defend yourself against such a charge you wind up sounding like you're backpedaling. ("Hey, I have no problem with gay people; everyone should own one!") Probably better not to even try. Your ideas should speak for themselves, and wise people can tell which opinions are bigoted and which aren't. As for people who aren't wise...why do you care what they think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I care what they think because they, unfortunately, vote too!!

And you're quite welcome.

TrackerNeil said...

Uh...well, that's a good point. It's funny too, because I always said that if Slick Rick retains his Senate seat, it will be because of liberal voters who would prefer another six years of "Man on Dog" Santorum to a candidate who is at least marginally better.

H.L. Mencken talked about fanatics being more dangerous than cynics, and he was right. I just didn't fully expect to find liberal fantaticism.