Monday, December 05, 2005

You always know it's Christmas...

...when some fuckhead starts complaining about the use of "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." It's started again, and the usual cast of religious zeros is boycotting Wal-mart and Target because their employees greet customers with the former. Apparently, it's OK that both Wal-mart and Target both pay, and treat their employees like, crap, and that these corporations are responsible for the demise of untold numbers of independent businesses who are far more invested in their respective communities. All this is just jim-dandy with the God Squad, but dare to wish someone a happy holiday and you've got a fight on your hands.

Pah. This is a vapid, pointless issue, which I suppose makes it just right for American political discourse.

2 comments:

poppy said...

I wonder why people are threatened by something like "happy holiday." How does that really affect your life? Nobody is forcing you to resort to a godless "happy holiday" as an expression of goodwill.
You're right, this is vapid. I always wonder this time of year, what about my right not to have your god shoved in my face? I actually am considering, if I have a child, checking whether their prospective schools sing "Silent Night" in pagents. If so, they're not going.

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose that becoming part of the problem is a kind of solution...

- Mike V.