Thursday, November 03, 2005

Too much of a good thing

The other day Dan and I were in the Superfresh on South Street, and we saw on sale 10 boxes of cake mix for $10. Although a dollar a box is a good deal, who the heck buys 10 boxes of cake mix? Naturally, I straightaway phoned Sarcasmo to ask her the same question, and I'll bet it was the most curious phone call she'd received all day. Or maybe not.

Don't get me wrong; I like cake mix. I like licking the spoon after you put the pans in the oven, and I like flattening the top of the cake so it can better support the second layer. The trimmings that said flattening produces go down tasty with milk, and sometimes I have thought of eschewing the frosting and simply eating the cake naked. (The cake would be naked, not me. In case you were wondering.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon, Neil, live a little. Both you and the cake could be naked.

Sarcasmo said...

It was, in fact, the most curious phone call I received all day (although not the most curious phone call I received ever, I'm sure.)

Anonymous said...

So... the cake would be naked, and _you_ would be covered in frosting?

-S. Tarzan

Amy McWeasel said...

What about baking one ginormous cake instead of ten normal sized cakes? Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Did it say "must buy 10?" In my experience, a lot of those "10 for $10" sales really just mean that they've reduced the price to a dollar a piece, so you can just buy 1 or 2 if you want.