Friday, November 11, 2005

The civic duty thing

I got picked for jury duty, which is A-OK with me, because it means I don't have to go to work for five or six days while the wheels of justice turn, presumably with my able assistance. Obviously, I'm prohibited from talking about the case (and I imagine that the judge would also have included blogging in the prohibition), but I can tell you that the D.A. was wearing a good suit that fit her perfectly. It remains to be seen if her case will be as effective as her outfit.

Who said jury duty was bad? I got to read a book all day, get paid both by work and by the City of Philadelphia, and got 10% off at selected vendors at the Reading Terminal Market just by flashing my juror badge. Admittedly, it would be better if I were on a celebrity trial, because I could then write a book afterwards and make loads of money, but a discount turkey sandwich is good, too.

By the by, I, like others, am heartened by Democratic victories Tuesday in New Jersey, Virginia and California. We haven't exactly turned the corner, but it's been so long since we had any good news that these electoral triumphs come like salvation.

2 comments:

Amy McWeasel said...

I rather enjoyed jury duty when I had it. I was on a criminal trial and fretted about making the correct decision, but overall...I was proud to serve.

TrackerNeil said...

As much as I criticize this nation (and I do), I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride in a justice system in which the accused is presumed innocent and all evidence against him/her must be presented in open court. I'm not saying our judicial system is perfect, but it's a lot better than it could be.