Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Gar!

Oooh...I am sooooo angry! I was just listening to a BBC program in which pro-war Americans from Ohio were being interviewed, and you should have heard what they said. One woman said that support for the war and a desire to liberate people from dictators reflected Midwestern values, and that she knew that some people on the coasts just didn't share those values. Others echoed this sentiment.

Memo to those people: Fuck you! Who the hell do you think you are? My gosh...all we hear is how the liberals are this snobbish elite, yet then we're treated to this kind of holier-than-thou bullshit. This is an example of just another kind of elitism, which goes, "Well, we may not know what wine goes with what pasta, but we're going to Heaven." I'm sick and tired of hearing conservatives tell me how wrong, how valueless, how sinful, and how corrupt I am, and how upstanding, plain-speaking, old-fashioned, and most of all, modest, they are.

Although I'll admit I view most pro-war folks as politically naive, I don't think they're indifferent to human suffering, or satisfied with tyranny. I really, really wish they'd accord me the same consideration.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's not only obnoxious but ignorant. In the long history of Midwestern conservatism, there's a pronounced tendency towards isolationism. There's a long history of it from Hagel & Lugar back to Sen. Robert Taft in the 40s and a lot of the Midwestern Republican presidents of the late 19th century. Historically, most of the people who have led us into war (Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, the George Bushes) have been elites from the East Coast.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that post was by me.

-S. Tarzan

Amy McWeasel said...

I know it's "your blog, your rules" and I'm not trying to bait you or discount your anger, but I hear similar name calling from both sides of the political fence: the "snobby, liberal elite" think the conservatives are stupid, naive, undereducated, blind-faith-following sheep...and the "upstanding, old-fashioned conservatives" think the liberals are morally bankrupt, bleeding-heart, overeducated, pompous, arrogant jackholes.

I don't think either side is correct. Both sides seem to want understanding and to be treated considerately, but it seems to me that neither side actually treats the other as it wishes to be treated.

TrackerNeil said...

Oooh...a blog debate!

McWeasel, I see your point, and I agree that there's no dearth of liberal mockery of conservatives. What troubles me is the way this kind of viewpoint is reflective of a major movement. Conservatives have over the last thirty years systematically discredited all of the major sources of public information: the news media, academia, and the scientific community. All of these are now painted as morally bankrupt liberal mouthpieces, and with no source of credible authority, public discourse has been crippled. It's scary, and in my opinion it's hurting our country far more than the liberal nonsense that preceded it.