Saturday, October 18, 2003

Straight guys puzzle me

Although I'm well aware of the dangers of overgeneralizing here, I'm doing it anyway. My blog, my rules. Straight guys can be both completely frustrating and yet completely faith-restoring. Let's take it one at a time.

Frustrating: They've got this whole must-be-tough-and-bluff-at-all-times air that really drives me up the frickin' wall. How do straight women stand it?!? You can see it in their eyes too; my friend Ed pointed out that gay men have a certain softness around their eyes that straight men often lack, and he was dead-on. There's also this near-paranoid fear of clothes that are tighter than ridiculously baggy. NOTE TO STRAIGHT MEN: If you think oversized clothing discouraged homos from checking you out, you could not be more wrong. It only entices us to look more closely.

Faith-restoring: When straight guys are completely comfortable with their sexuality (and those of others) they are the coolest people on the whole damn planet. My brother is one of these, and so is Emmett. They don't spend a whole lot of time worrying about men making it with other men, which is the very reason why they are straight. Just like the fact that I don't spend much time worrying about the rarity of certain coins makes me a non-coin-collecting person. (Note to self: Must google proper word for those who collect coins.)

By the way, in the first sentence of the faith-restoring section, I am paraphrasing Deirdre Flint, a totally awesome folk-singer from right here in Philadelphia. Check out her Web site at www.deirdreflint.com and listen to some of her free stuff. Then buy some of her non-free stuff and support a wonderful local artist who's not backed by a major label. Do it. Now.

No comments: