Wednesday, January 03, 2007

And kinda justice for me

I had attending the hearing today on my conviction (to which I never got a chance to plead!) on driving on a suspended registration, and it's the last time I have to deal with this mess. The long and the short of it is that I pleaded down to a lesser charge with no license suspension, no points on my not-to-be-suspended license, and a return of most of the money I've paid in fines. The D.A. agreed that my situation was a bit more severe than a citizen with an unblemished driving record deserved, but he wasn't so agreeable about returning all my money. (He looked really good in his suit, too, for which I wasn't sure to admire him or hate him.) Anyway, I'll continue to be a presence on the road until my tired but serviceable old Corolla finally shuffles off this mortal coil.

It was kind of a funny scene. The D.A. and I never made eye contact. My attorney would consult with me, go to the D.A. and negotiate, come back to me with an update, and so forth. I felt like one of the nobles in "Rome", who never speak directly of money matters but instead have their servants do the haggling. If I really were a Roman noble I'd make sure I had the nastiest servants breathing, to make sure I got all the best deals. The merchants would hate it, sure, but my servant would have to deal with that, not me. Oh, and I would have a purple toga trimmed with red. You know, if I were a Roman noble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations!