Monday, September 29, 2008

If only this were on TV

Check out this awesome pro-Obama video, that illustrates perfectly why experience is no substitute for good judgment.

Speaking of judgment, I exhibited the bad judgment to choose to paint a closet door on the most humid day in September, even though I know from experience that's not a good idea. Unsurprisingly, the door took all day to become only slightly sticky. Not that painting my closet door was a screw-up of Iraq proportions, but, you know.

Dan and I were discussing values the other day, like you do. We concluded that, although everyone talks about values, particularly in the context of voting, not many actually know what they mean. How many people actually think about what their values are? You can say, "pro-life", but that's a political position, not a value. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people," is a slogan, not a value. Of those few who do think about values, how many actually apply those values to their lives and decisions?

Naturally, all this got me thinking about my own values, so I'll try to list a few here, in no particular order:

  1. Fairness: I think you should treat people not only politely but even-handedly, without judging them arbitrarily or too harshly. Of course, we all make our own internal judgments, but you don't have to let your less-admirable thoughts dictate your actions.
  2. Responsibility: We all have our emotional baggage, and oftentimes what we carry with us from our earlier life really wasn't our fault. At the end of the day, however, you have to decide what kind of person you want to be and work towards that.
  3. Curiousity**: For the life of me, I can't understand those people who at a certain point in life decide that they've learned everything they need to know, so they cap their beliefs, slap a coat of lacquer on 'em and go to sleep. In my view if you're not learning you're not living, and that goes both for intellectual and emotional matters.
  4. Community: Although each of us must take responsibility for him/herself, there's no law that says you can't lend a hand now and again. Everyone needs it, and from a purely selfish standpoint helping someone for no other reason than kindness feels pretty damn good.
That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to suggest others, if you like.

**English spelling used in deference to Babyraven.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I get deference!! Awesome. :D