Tuesday, November 28, 2006

How screwed are we?

Britain is finally doing what the majority of its citizens have demanded for years: pulling its troops out of Iraq. Poland and Italy will follow suit, leaving the U.S. holding the bag in Baghdad. I'm sure the Kingdom of Palau will stand with us, though.

NBC has decided to start calling the Iraq mess a civil war, a decision that was late in coming if you ask me. A conflict that centers on one religious group systematically killing another, and that has resulted in as many as 600,000 deaths...well, if that isn't a civil war, what the hell is? I expect that the White House will counter by attempting to redefine the term "civil war" so narrowly that what was fought between the Union and the Confederacy in 1861 will have to be re-designated as sectarian violence.

In other news, my foot still hurts. Apparently, it can take up to a year for plantar fascitis to go away. That right; in the time it takes my poor tendon to heal, a human could go from "Hi Sperm! Hi Egg!" to being cooed over at grandma's house. Where's Dr. Crusher with her little blue light?

I'm reading Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion." Dawkins is definitely what you might call an evangelical atheist, and from what I've seen and heard in debates the man does not suffer fools gladly. However, he makes some pretty good points in his book; so many, in fact, that I'm taking my sweet old time reading it, to make sure I get everything.

I was reading yesterday about a local deli owner who foiled would-be robbers when he produced his own handgun and chased them out of his store. Apparently, tho, one of the robbers was frightened and hid in the back of the store where the owner found him. The owner then marched him into a back room, called police, and took his boots. I'm not crying over the fate of a bunch of thugs, but why would he take the guy's boots? I've been trying to figure that out and I just can't. Comment if you can, please.

4 comments:

Sarcasmo said...

I am guessing "so he couldn't run away." Not that it would necessarily stop him - although barefoot on these city streets is possibly scarier than a gun.

Either that - or he just liked them.

Anonymous said...

It's a lot harder to run away when you're shoeless. Not impossible, but more difficult.

Especially if someone were to, say, cover the floor in tacks.

Anonymous said...

I recently saw Richard Dawkins on YouTube giving a talk and holding a Q&A session in support of his new book. I was very impressed! He's a very articulate speaker, and judging from his reading an equally gifted writer.

If you haven't seen it already, check out his Lynchburg, VA appearance on YouTube. It's a CSPAN broadcast, so the quality is decent.

http://tinyurl.com/ymo56m

Tim

TrackerNeil said...

I HAVE been watching it on YouTube, and it made me laugh in several occasions. Thanks for the link, tho.