Monday, May 16, 2005

Ick, ick, ick

There's a woman in my office who was morbidly obese and very dedicated to losing weight. I appreciate that. In my opinion, everyone should have a healthy concern about his/her health. This woman decides to have her stomach stapled. I tried to be open-minded about this, but I can't get past, "Are you out of your fucking skull?"

I realize that stomachs can shrink and expand according to one's habitual food intake, and I am sure that can present a hurdle for those accustomed to eating large amounts who are now trying to cut back. However, there's got to be a better way to overcome that hurdle that getting a doctor to surgically seal off part of your stomach. Really. Try yoga, or meditation, or appetite suppressants, or perhaps something as blazingly brilliant as willpower. That's a cheaper, safer, and healthier alternative to non-medically-necessary surgery.

I lost 40 pounds myself back in 1997, so I know that losing weight isn't easy. It requires time, commitment, and a brand-new approach to eating. It does not, however, require a scalpel, anesthesia, and catgut. I suggest that the first three are easier, safer, and in the long run, a more permanent solution to obesity.

No comments: