Monday, May 02, 2005

Another miscellany

Yesterday, while at the Equality Forum street festival, I stopped to listen to Repent America. In case you didn’t know, they’re one of the Christian groups that appears at every gay pride event and tells us how bad we are. Anyway, the leader of the group was saying that, in a Muslim nation, we wouldn’t be allowed to have this event, presumably to showcase how loving Christians are. I thought, “Hmm…saying you’re better than Osama bin Laden really isn’t much of a recommendation.” I think Repent America needs to work on their image, because the tag line, “Better than those wacky Muslim fanatics” just isn’t working.

Can I say how glad I am to be an atheist? I don’t need to go to boring weekly rituals, or abstain from certain foods on certain days, or give up anything (like chocolate or soda) to show how pious I am, or be forgiving of my enemies. That last one really comes in handy during debates with Christians, too, particularly if they’re of the crazy fundamentalist Christian variety. You know they just want to smack you, but since they think God’s watching they can’t.

No comments: