Thursday, March 01, 2007

True things (I think)

Here's some stuff I've found to be true.

  1. Most people make the majority of their decisions emotionally, so giving them rational arguments is like offering ice cream to a Eskimo.
  2. Dogs are almost always faster than you expect.
  3. No matter how bad you think things are, they can always get worse.
  4. People change their opinions when they're ready, not because of countervailing evidence or because you want them to.
  5. It's not what you say; it's how you say it.
  6. A good leader wears authority not like a golden crown but as a normal suit of clothes. He soon forgets what he's wearing, but everyone else sees it.
  7. I don't look good in green.
  8. The people who make a point of telling you how straightforward they are usually turn out to be the most dishonest.
  9. If you can't explain a good idea in two minutes, it's probably not very good.
  10. At least 30% of the corporate world possesses no discernable talent other than a knack for self-promotion.
  11. Three Krispy Kreme donuts eaten in the span of five minutes is NOT a good idea.
  12. A resolve not to suppress your feelings is not an excuse to be mean to others.
  13. Keep your damn advice to yourself. It usually sucks anyway.
  14. A knowing smile is one of the surest ways to ruin someone's day.
  15. When you start a new job, it's best to use your ears more and your mouth less.
  16. Don't carry pens in your pocket. Seriously.

I'll probably think of more later, but this'll do for now.

New favorite lyric:

"I wanna be a big shot and have ninety cars
I wanna have a boyfriend and a girl for laughs
But only on Saturdays, six days to be alone
With just me, myself, I"

Artist: Joan Armatrading (Joan Armatrading)
Song: Me Myself I
Album: Me Myself I

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Most people make the majority of their decisions emotionally, so giving them rational arguments is like offering ice cream to a Eskimo"

What kind of inane comparison is this??? Do not talk of people about whom you apparently know nothing!

TrackerNeil said...

Hmm...you are either someone I know being snarky, or a member of MediaGirl's echo chamber. Or (gasp) could you be MediaGirl herself?

(Please be MediaGirl, please be MediaGirl.)

Amy McWeasel said...

I've found many of these things to be true as well.

However, I disagree with eating three Krispy Kreme donuts in the span of five minutes as being a bad idea.