Friday, January 21, 2005

It's that time again.

Since we've gotten our first snow warning of the season, people are engaging in snow-talk, which as I have said before annoys me way more than it should.

First, let's talk about the inane comments like "Ready for snow?" How does one respond to this? For that matter, how does one really prepare for snow? Run out and buy canned goods so that when six inches falls you'll have something to eat until the rescue squad doesn't come and dig you out of nothing? We live in a major metropolitan area in the most powerful country in the world, which means that the vast majority of us have little to fear from a half-foot of snow. I know that, no matter what happens, I'll be able to face the horror of snowy boots so that I can get to Acme to pick up my Lucky Charms. Really.

Now, there are the amateur forecasts, which get increasingly dire as the day draws near. In the morning you'll hear 2-4 inches, which by lunch will have become 6-8 inches, and by closing time will be the worst winter weather since the Ice Age. Very little of it is backed by any meteorological evidence, but it's repeated with an almost breathless excitement. I don't get it. Snow will fall or it won't, and we'll get what we get. Therefore, people, talking about snow does nothing except piss me off, and unlike snow, I might actually kill you. And all the milk and bread in the world won't protect you.

No comments: