Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Yawn of the Dead

I was home yesterday, resting my poor foot, and I decided to rent a few movies. It killed me to drive to a video store only about a mile away, but my foot and I had a showdown and I lost. Anyway, I got the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and "Ginger Snaps Back."

Dawn of the Dead: Like the Romera original, this features a group of humans who take shelter in a mall from hordes of ravening zombies. The similarities pretty much end there. As could be expected, this version has zombies that are faster and more hyped, and more explosions, and prettier actors, none of which improved things in my opinion. Naturally the social commentary is gone, as are the in-your-face gore scenes. Still, since I love me some zombie movie, I enjoyed the remake for what it was, although it in no way displaces the original. Grade: C+

Ginger Snaps Back: I'm a big fan of the "Ginger" oeuvre, so it's no surprise that I should like this movie. It takes place back in the 18th century, but Ginger and Bridget are no less entertaining than they were in the new millenium. I'll say no more, except, "Rent this." Grade: B+

No comments: