Friday, November 05, 2004

My turn!

OK...I'm ready to make my own commentary regarding the election.

I took a good long time thinking about this election, and one of the first things I did was ask myself, "Am I getting it wrong?" Was invading Iraq really a wise and moral use of national resources? Can the United States honestly hope to bring about a Middle East democracy at a price (in dollars and lives) we can afford? Is my opposition rooted in knee-jerk loathing for the socially conservative agenda Bush pushes? I turned these questions over in my mind very honestly and carefully, and all I can say is that my former position remains unchanged. Maybe I'm a fool or too liberal and elite, but at the very least I'm honest with myself on this issue.

With those questions answered, I had to turn to a larger question: "What do I do now?" I've decided that, from now on, I will no longer speak against the Iraq invasion and occupation, nor will I debate its values. The American people have endorsed Bush's actions of the past three years, and further debate at this juncture is pointless. I'd hoped that the majority of my countrymen would come around on their own and take the path of reason, but instead they have chosen blood. So be it. Perhaps the only way for us to remember the lessons of Vietnam is to relearn them.

If America wants war, perhaps it's best that America gets it.

No comments: