Monday, August 09, 2004

Artists to whom you should listen

Before I get started, let me say that I've lately become very averse to ending sentences with prepositions. I realize that, in the scheme of things, a post-sentence preposition ranks just above pink lint on the Things to Eradicate list, but for some reason it matters to me.

Anyway, I've decided to list a few of my favorite artists. Have at it.

Jill Sobule: If I were a singer-songwriter, I'd write songs just like Jill's. They tell these neat little stories that don't mean very much, but then it's been said that although the things we do don't matter very much, it's so very important that we do them. I glad Jill Sobule does them. Jill's downside is that her Web site is kind of annoying, but I guess no one's perfect.

Dar Williams: She's this I-majored-in-tofu-at-Vassar kind of lady, but her songs aren't the least bit froofy. Her lyrics are intelligent, and they make you think about the songs long after the CD has ended.

Jane Wiedlin: Former Go-Go's guitarist, I have always had a soft spot for Jane, who works so hard for so little. Her last album, Kissproof World, sold only about 1,000 copies, which means that after buying one CD, I own a significant portion of the print run. Ouch. JW's not everyone's cup of tea (she has a very pixie-ish voice), but I find her a quirky delight. Given the low circulation of her albums, I also find her a secret delight.

(In case you didn't get it from context, "froofy" can be defined as snobbish, artsy, or otherwise high-falutin'.)

No comments: