Thursday, July 16, 2009

Curmudgeon alert!

First, I have to share my current favorite YouTube video.

Second, I'm at long last going to comment on Twitter. I never really had a strong opinion of this until I actually tried to read some tweets and found them incredibly annoying. My reaction had nothing to do with the content of said tweets but the mode of communication. I have said previously that I feel we are too connected these days, and Twitter is sort of the logical end to that trend. As Dan pointed out last night, the noise-to-message ratio is really high on Twitter. (He's smart.) Reading tweets is what I imagine telepathy in a concert would be like: a constant cacophony through which you have to sort to find the value. As Dan also pointed out, not all data transfer is communication. (He's really smart.) I tried to read some political tweets, but after a few posts I gave up. I have enough to do sifting my own mental blurts for a narrative, thanks; I don't need to work on someone else's.

3 comments:

Amy McWeasel said...

You kids get off my lawn! ;)

Star said...

That Dan ! He really is smart !

CathyC said...

Twitter is just the flavor of the month, like MySpace & Facebook used to be, but with more delightful catch-phrases like Twitting and Twattage - let's see Webster add THAT word!