Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This is just weird

Now that my resume is active on Monster.com again, I am getting bombarded with all sorts of job-hunting advice. Here's a doozy from CNN Money, in the form of a Q&A:

How can you get someone's attention?

We can go into billboards, sandwiches - that stuff only works once. It's only for one person who figures it out once, once in a city. If you're looking for fun stuff, we have this thing called the coffee cup caper, 30% of the time it will result in an interview. You send an employer a coffee cup with a little $5 swipe card with a little note that says, I'd like to get together and talk with you over coffee. I'll be calling soon. And you send it by U.S. post two day delivery, and that gets registered. So when they've signed for it, you wait about 20 minutes and then you call them. And then you go, Hi, I know you just got my package.' You're proving you're imaginative and creative.


And a stalker! You don't give a potential employer gifts, particularly when that gift is accompanied by creepy, Fatal-Attraction-style surveillance that reveals, to the minute, when they received that gift. What's next? Do you bring wine and condoms on their honeymoon? Ye gods...does anyone actually get hired this way?

4 comments:

CathyC said...

You might as well staple a $5 to your resume.

Daniel Linehan said...

I also like the subtext that you'd be imaginative and creative by following a Monster.com hint word for word. Blind obedience truly is the new creativity.

Amy McWeasel said...

Ugh! I'd never hire someone who tried to get my attention like that.

Gillian said...

That's freaking creepy.