Friday, August 22, 2008

Going too far

All right, I admit I was floored to learn that someone actually got arrested for not returning overdue library books. However, I was even more astonished to hear this little gem from the defendant:

Dalibor paid her $170 fine and was released.

Still, she isn’t planning on returning the books.“I still have the books and I don’t plan to return them because they’re paid for now,” Dalibor said.

Umm...the good people at the Grafton Library have already demonstrated that they're willing to go more than the extra mile to recover the fines they're owed. Does this woman think they'll do less to recover their missing books?

And she votes. Or so I fear.

New favorite lyric:

"We all play the game and when we dare
To cheat ourselves at Solitaire
Inventing lovers on the phone
Repenting other lives unknown
Who call and say, 'Come dance with me'
And murmur vague obscenities
Ugly girls like me
At seventeen"

Artist: Janis Ian (Janis Ian)
Song: At Seventeen
Album: Between the Lines

3 comments:

Amy McWeasel said...

What a doofus. Why not just *buy* the books when you realized you like them - and buy them for less than $170 - and return the library copies?

And just because she paid the overdue fines, doesn't mean she bought the books from the library... it just means she paid a lotta rent on those still-borrowed books.

People confound me.

Amy McWeasel said...

Also, I wish I lived in her town. When I saw her in public, I'd point & shout "Scofflaw!" That's an underused word, in my opinion. :D

Gillian said...

Agreed, Amy. It's also a really fun word to say.