Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I need at least one mama and one papa

I've been neglecting my music exposure this last year, so now I have decided to get my groove back and expose myself to new sounds. I've been listening to WXPN for new sounds, but then it occurred to me that perhaps I should look back as well. For whatever reason, I thought of the Mamas and the Papas, and particularly of this great song Mama Cass sang in the film "Pufnstuf." This film, which I have not seen in years, is as I recall really trippy. Whoa. But I liked the song so much I am including the entire thing as today's favorite lyric. That's one of the benefits of being an adult, you know.

But I digress. Can anyone recommend a specific M&P album that seems a good place to start? Leave a comment, please.

New favorite lyric:

"When I was smaller, and people were taller
I realized that I was different
I had a power that set me apart
I learned to take it, to use it, to make it
It's not so bad to be different, to do your own thing
And do it with heart

Different is hard, different is lonely
Different is trouble, for you only
Different is heartache, different is pain
But I'd rather be different than be the same

At first I'd wonder, what hex I was under
What did I do to be so different?
Then I discovered some others like me
Wonder no longer, together we're stronger
It's not so bad to be different, be true to yourself
That's what you must be

Different is hard, different is lonely
Different is trouble for you only
Different is heartache, different is pain
But I'd rather be different than be the same"

Artist: Cass Elliot (author unknown)
Song: Different
Album: Soundtrack of "PufnStuf"


No comments: