Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My own quiz!

Do you like "The Hobbit"? I do, so I have made me own quiz to test the knowledge of ye who dare. Put your responses in the comments. Or email them to me. Or keep them to yourself. Or ignore the quiz. See how easy it is?

  1. What was the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities?
  2. Who fought in the Battle of Five Armies?
  3. What were the names of the swords Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls?
  4. Who killed Smaug?
  5. What hides behind stars and under hills, and fills empty holes?
  6. On what day did the setting sun shine a light on the keyhole?
  7. Where did Gandalf find Thrain, Thorin's father, and get the map and key?
  8. What game did Bilbo's fierce ancestor invent?
  9. Who became King Under the Mountain?
  10. How did Gandalf defeat Bert, Tom and Bill?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Smaug
2. Eagles, Dwarfs, Elves, Orcs (and/or Goblins), and Men
3. Glamdring and...damn it! Beater and Biter.
4. Bard of Laketown
5. darkness
6. midsummer?
7. in the dungeons under Dol Guldur
8. Golf
9. Thorin
10. He impersonated them and tricked them into arguing until dawn, at which point they turned to stone

TrackerNeil said...

Well Feanor, you got 7 or 8 out of 10. Answer #6 is "Durin's Day", and #7 is Dain, Thorin's cousin. As you may recall, Thorin was killed in the Battle of Five Armies, and thus never lived to be formally recognized as king.

Now, as to #2, there's some debate as to what precisely the five armies were. All agree that orcs, dwarves, men and elves were four, but the fifth is either wargs or eagles. I'll have to look at the book once more to see if I can determine the correct answer, but I *think* the eagles are not technically an army. I'll post about it later.

TrackerNeil said...

Sorry Feanor, but in "The Hobbit", the battle was designated the Battle of Five Armies before the eagles arrived. I must therefore say you were wrong on #2. Still, seven out of ten isn't bad.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of surprised I even managed the seven! :)