Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Another miscellany

The new "Battlestar Galactica" rocks! If you aren't watching it, you are a poor, poor person who must be taught the error of your ways. Forcibly, if necessary.

Unless you're living under a rock, you've heard that the grand jury released its report on the Archdiocese of Philadelphia sexual abuse scandal. I've read a good bit of it, and it's one of the most quintessentially disgusting things I've ever read. The case studies of abuse are bad enough, but the description of official obstruction are what really turn my stomach. This corruption goes all the way to the top, my friends, and it certainly doesn't stop with Cardinal Rigali, as the last pope demonstrated by rewarding Cardinal Law with an honored position at the Vatican. These are the folks who are supposed to be in a position to lecture to people about birth control, abortion, homosexuality, blah blah.

Speaking of homosexuality, the Church has revealed its plans to oust gay seminarians, apparently heedless that it's estimated that up to 58% of current Catholic priests are themselves gay. I like it when my political opponents so neatly slit their own wrists. If this nice cooperation would spread to, say, the Family Research Council, I'd be a happier guy.

No comments: