Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Overheard at work

As I previously mentioned, the company for which I work is not likely to outlast the milk in my refrigerator, so everyone's scrambling for work. As you may know, law firm people tend to stick with the firm for years if not decades, and some of them haven't job-hunted since Nixon was president. Today I heard one of those say she'd emailed her resume in response to a job posting and never got a reply. She complained that not responding to a submitted resume was "just unprofessional."

I shook my head sadly but said nothing; she has no idea what awaits: A world of companies who don't acknowledge your application, treat you like a criminal during the interview and dirt after you've left the office. And that was when the economy was fine. Great Zeus. I don't have the heart to break it to her. Not that I'm in much better straits, but at least I know what's coming.

1 comment:

CathyC said...

Wait til she finds out co's use programs to scan resumes for key words. Too, you need to keep reposting on Monster to keep your resume on top of the pile.