Thursday, February 05, 2009

Some "common sense"

Look, I understand why John McCain would turn to the "wisdom" of Joe the Plumber in the waning days of his campaign; I mean, when you're desperate you take some long shots. But why is the Republican Party still listening to this man?

His name's not Joe. He isn't a plumber. He doesn't own a business. Not only would he not have paid more taxes under Obama's plan, he's apparently had trouble paying taxes at all. Joe the Plumber is a figment of the GOP's collective imagination, constructed from phony populism and empty, blue-collar hero worship with just a dash of anti-intellectualism.

Come to think of it, maybe he's the perfect Republican spokesman after all.

"I'd like to help you Tom in any way I can
I sure appreciate the way you're working with me
I'm not a monster, Tom...well, technically I am
I guess I am."


Artist: Jonathan Coulton
Song: RE: Your brains
Album: Thing A Week (Two)

No comments: