Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's warm somewhere in America

...or at least in Florida. Only 70 there, mind you, but that was about fifty degrees warmer than Philly. Still, it was nice to wear short sleeves during the day and only a light jacket at night, which the locals seemed to feel was quite out of place. The flight down included a scary landing; evidently the pilot thought hitting the ground at 700 miles an hour was just peachy. But (minor miracle) both departing and returning the flights were on time, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

What the hell, I will. US Air now charges $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for two, which is a fairly new development. Now, if you were an airline exec, what might you imagine would be the result of the implementation of this kind of policy? Do you think it might just be possible that passengers will do all that they can to avoid checking bags? If you thought that, you were right. Going down I was only spared the fee by Dan warping space in the overhead compartment and fitting my bag nearly into place. Coming back I caved and paid the damned fee because I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to stow my modestly sized bag.

Argh. I hate air travel. Where's my jump drive?

No comments: