Friday, December 21, 2007

Well, not saw but SAW

This has got to be the funniest thing in politics since Bob Allen and his "stocky black man" routine. Mitt Romney really put his foot in it when he said he saw his father marching with Martin Luther King. Turns out that the elder Romney never appeared with King, but that Mitt "saw" him anyway. Here's the money quote:

"If you look at the literature, if you look at the dictionary, the term 'saw' includes being aware of in the sense I've described," Romney told reporters in Iowa. "It's a figure of speech and very familiar, and it's very common. And I saw my dad march with Martin Luther King. I did not see it with my own eyes, but I saw him in the sense of being aware of his participation in that great effort."

Ah. Well. That's a mistake that any slimy, flip-flopping political snake would make. However, to make this even funnier, check out what Redstate.com has to say about it:

"...this incident could be easily understood by Romney's supporters, but it only strengthens the positions of those who do not have confidence in the veracity of certain of Mr. Romney's statements."

Man, you can't make up this stuff.

No comments: