Friday, September 11, 2015

Fourteen years was what it took

Like everyone, I'm aware of the significance of today's date, and for the first time since I got on social media I'm going to talk about the destruction of the World Trade Center, something I have been reluctant to do. That reluctance is due to the way the calamity was weaponized by conservatives against liberals, making it difficult for lefties like me to say anything without sounding traitorous, uncaring, weak, blah blah blah. So I'm breaking the silence. Here's how what happened on September 11, 2001 makes me feel:

I'm angry that thousands of unsuspecting people were targeted by a bunch of murderous, self-righteous assholes.
I'm disgusted that this nation was bamboozled into the worst foreign policy blunder of the past century because unsuspecting people were targeted by a bunch of murderous, self-righteous assholes.
I'm furious that the folks who bamboozled us made it impossible for Americans to come together on something that should NEVER HAVE DIVIDED US.
I'm resentful that we Americans compounded the damage by turning this nation into a place where law and custom now assume that those who prefer privacy are suspicious.
I'm saddened by the notion that my nieces and nephew will grow up thinking that being asked for ID before entering an office building or other formerly public space is perfectly acceptable.
I'm confused that we consider any American who puts on a police or army uniform automatically upgraded to hero.
I'm bewildered that my fellow Americans accept as normal that to board an airplane we have to allow government agents to view us in the nude.
I'm horrified that this nation actually conducted a serious debate over just which torture tactics were acceptable and which weren't.
I'm resigned that, when the next big attack occurs, we'll do it all over again.



Kirkus Reviews calls The Duchess of the Shallows "a fresh, compelling twist on fantasy."

No comments: