Monday, September 19, 2011

Gee...I AM a baby

As you may know, Lenore Skenazy earned fame (and, in some circles, infamy) when she allowed her 9-year-old to take a NY subway by himself. I'm not going to get into the wisdom of that decision in this post, but the whole thing caught my attention and so I read her blog now and again. Recently, Lenore posted this.

I'll admit to being a bit cantankerous when it comes to mobile phones. I don't think people should use them while driving, or in restaurants, or in line for the cashier, an certainly not (with a few exceptions) while seeing friends or on a date. Despite this, I have found myself calling Dan while on the way home from one event or another simply to say, "I'm on my way home", and Lenore's comments have made me rethink the necessity of that practice. After all, Dan knows that, when I go out, I will indeed come home shortly after the engagement ends; if my plans change, I'll phone him with that news. He doesn't expect or need minute-by-minute updates of my location, course, and heading, so why I am providing them? Why are any of us?

No comments: