Thursday, June 29, 2006

Boo-yah!

My proposal writing course is over, and I am pleased to report I got a big, fat "A." Almost makes 14 weeks of graduate work shoved into 5 feel worth it. Almost.

Pennsylvania is now reaping the grim harvest of its decision to repeal the motorcycle helmet law. Gee...who'd have thought the incidence of head injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents would dramatically increase after telling cyclists they needn't bother with helmets? I've heard all the arguments about personal freedom, but if cyclists should be free to ride helmetless then we, the taxpayers, should be free to not treat their injuries on the commonwealth's nickel. Since that's not gonna happen, I say we make 'em wear helmets. Besides, what about the freedom of those of us who drive automobiles? Shouldn't we have the option of not wearing our seatbelts? Finally, in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania driving is a privilege, not a right, so forcing cyclists to wear helmets isn't infringing on their rights. Not vetoing that repeal was one of the few things Governor Rendell has done with which I strongly disagreed.

2 comments:

Amy McWeasel said...

Hooray for your 'A'! Good job.

Also, I think the helmet thing is silly. I don't want to force people to wear helmets, but I don't want to pay for them either. My personal solution (because we all know the world listens to what *I* have to say) is to let the insurance companies handle it - if the rider wants to eschew a helmet, her personal insurance premium should be sky high. Same thing with seatbelts - don't want to wear them? Then the driver's insurance goes through the roof.

Personal choice is fine, as long as the responsibility that goes along with it is undertaken.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your A!

Star (too lazy to log in)