Wednesday, April 18, 2012

That's me!

Last night before my volleyball game, I was chatting with someone I don't usually have the chance to chat with, and he asked, "Hey didn't I hear you're a magician?" I gently corrected him by saying I had worked as a stand-up comedian, and if he was disappointed that I had never pulled a rabbit out of my hat, he hid it well.

There was a time when I might have been annoyed by the question, but yesterday it just made me smile. I like the idea that I am now associated with all sorts of artistic, long-shot endeavors, which is something that, ten years ago, I would never have predicted. These days, having told jokes to drunken hostile crowds, and now trying to pitch my book to sober, hostile reviewers, I'm proud of the reputation. In fact, I'm even kind of disappointed he didn't ask me, "Didn't I hear you're a rodeo clown?"

(I'm not. Yet.)

No comments: